Jennifer Thomson is an RP who specializes in support for the LGBTQ+ community, and in particular, the trans community. Jennifer has completed extensive training in the treatment of individuals in the LGBTQ+ community. She is also an ongoing member of the Trans Health Mentorship call through Rainbow Health Ontario, and engaged in regular supervision sessions with Dr. Greg Mendelson, a specialist in the LGBTQ+ community. As an ally, Jennifer’s goal is to create a safe space of all people, and provide the support, care and guidance that all individuals deserve.
Introduction to LGBTQ+ Care
Speakers: Jennifer Thomson and Michelle Bridgman
This session is intended to introduce therapists to mental healthcare for the LGBTQ+ community, so that they may provide non-judgemental, informed support. Attendees will learn important terminology used in the LGBTQ+ community, including when and how to ask questions.
Psychoeducation around the science behind different genders and sexual identities, including the implication of a lack of community support, will be provided. Further, examples of ‘standard’ therapy types (such as CBT) will be used to showcase the application to many LGBTQ+ related issues. There will be a focus on theories of self and how they impact our understanding of gender identity, as well as the evolvement of trans identities.
The session will also provide therapists with information on the discovery process for LGBTQ+ individuals, and how they can help clients navigate the coming out process. More in-depth issues, such as trans care and access to gender-affirming surgery, will also be discussed. Attendees will also learn about legal and employment issues faced by the LGBTQ+ community.
- Understand the main issues that individuals from the LGBTQ+ face on a daily basis and utilize that tools that are presented to support them through it
- Become comfortable and competent in delivering care to the LGBTQ+ population
- Understand many of the terms used in the LGBTQ+ community
- Understand the research supporting gender and sexuality-diverse populations and the support they require, including creating safe spaces
- Better understand the evolvement of trans identities and how our theories of self impact our understandings of gender identity
- Understand the historical and cultural context of gender identities and sexualities
- Understand the clinical and medical process for individuals seeking treatment for Gender Dysphoria
- Working model for Psychotherapists who may want to work with gender diverse clients will be provided